Harris Bugg Studio is seeking a Senior Landscape Architect for our growing team (currently five), working on a variety of public, private and commercial gardens, spaces and landscapes. They will lead on projects through the entire design process, including proposals, construction, and final delivery.
We are a growing landscape practice looking for a bright, driven individual to help lead our team. It is an exciting time in our development and we are looking for someone who wants to be part of this journey with us.
We have studios in both London and Exeter and this position is in the Exeter location where our main team is based. Recently refurbished and currently shared with a growing architecture firm, the studio is based in the heart of Exeter.
Exeter has been named among fastest growing economies in the UK, ranked fifth in the country and matching Bristol in its strong economic performance. Only 20 minutes from the seaside in one direction and the wilds of Dartmoor in another, it has a beautiful cathedral and medieval past, a lovely waterfront and amazing places to live. We think it’s the perfect combination of being lively, big and well-connected, but small enough to be friendly with a good sense of community.
This role will require travel to project sites and related meetings which are currently situated throughout the UK and abroad. Visits to European nurseries and other suppliers may also be required.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience:
• Degree or Diploma in Landscape Architecture or Landscape/Garden Design
• At least 5 years experience in the technical delivery of landscape projects in a garden design or landscape architecture practice
• Excellent graphic, verbal and written communications skills to communicate ideas, issues and solutions. Client and supplier relationships are important to us so you will need to be excellent in telephone, face to face and written communication.
• Ability to sketch/develop designs on paper as well as digitally.
• Experience of developing both masterplans and technical/construction drawings and specifications; of translating designs into actual implementation
• Experience of site inspections and site supervision of independent contractors and specialists
• Experience of managing schedules and budgets to produce on-budget, on-time projects with researched and considered solutions to problems.
• Strong project management and co-ordination skills
• Experience of working under pressure and completing work to the highest standard for deadlines.
• Rigorous attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively both individually and with a team.
• Experience of managing and mentoring; you will be lead others through the design process, including proposals, construction, and final delivery.
• Strong skills in Vectorworks and the Adobe Suite.
• Fluency in English language.
• Relevant permit for working in the UK
• Vectorworks 3D, Sketch-up, Lumion
• Registered as a Landscape Architect with the Landscape Institute
• Horticultural and plant knowledge
This is a permanent position with a potential immediate start. Applications should include the following:
• A cover letter including a three sentence description of landscape or garden that inspires you and why
• Your CV
• Portfolio – please be clear which is your work, and the work that was collaborative or part of a team.
Please send these to Christina MacDonald either by email email@example.com or by post to Christina MacDonald, Harris Bugg Studio, Hems Studio, 86 Longbrook Street, Exeter EX4
Application deadline: Friday 2 February. Shortlisted candidates informed by Wednesday 7 February. Interviews w/c 19 February in our Exeter studio.
We are looking for a candidate who wants to be part of a progressive, innovative and ambitious team that also is human-friendly; we want people who are committed and focussed but we also take work/life balance seriously.
Our goal is to have a team that reflects the diversity and different backgrounds of our community and therefore we encourage applications from all individuals within any group in society. Applications will be judged on merit but we particularly welcome applications from women and ethnic minority groups.